Busy Baby Mama blogs
Being a class mom can be fun, but being a creative class mom can sometimes be challenging!
My first challenge – a twist on the regular bake sale……a Lunch Sale! Every Friday, each class gets an opportunity to do a Bake Sale during lunch hours, and my turn came last Friday! After hounding money from my class parents who didn’t want to cook, finding moms with baking skills, making my grocery list and going shopping, printing flyers on a whim…. then, standing all day selling or haggling with students who wanted a $3.00 sandwich for $1.50…hang in there, FINALLY, counting the money that amounted up to $800 at the end of the day, did make all the headache and the sweat turn in to sweet success.
Let me tell you about our top selling item on the menu that made all the difference. Our very own, Home-Made Happy Meals! They were a huge hit! I had 22 Kindergaten kids decorate white lunch bags with their colorful artistic doodles. I had them write “Minhaal Happy Meals”, you can replace the school name with your own. Oh and they had no problem making 150 bags for me in two days! Some kids even remembered how to write the word “Happy” and “Meal” because they wrote it so many times!
What went into our meals? Easy peasy, we baked chicken nuggets and made fun shaped pasta. Added 100 % juice boxes, and for snack, filled zip lock bags with cut apples & grapes. Did I mention the most important part of this meal? Ok, this is key …throw in a PARTY TOY! We advertised our happy meals on our flyers, and it was a winner for parents and kids both! Healthy food choice for mom, and toy prizes for kids. The teachers were telling me to sell Air Heads and Ringpops, because they made a lot of money from them in the past, but I did not want to give into the the junk-food-get-rich-scheme. I insisted that parents truly don’t want to give them junk but are caving into kids passion for sweets. I stuck with fruit salad packs, and I was pleasantly surprised that kids ate them happily.
Remember to advertise your event in advacne and work up a buzz in the corridors. I had the kids make an ad headband and sing a jingle (in the process, allowed them to experience the power of advertising). We also went into every class including the teachers lounge and had them promote our bake/lunch sale!
Here are the details if you wish to do one in your school or masjid. Please let me know how it went…what new ideas do you have that worked in your sale?
White Lunch Bags
Chicken Nuggets (home made or purchase the Zabiha ones from a local store)
Colored pasta (wheels, bow ties, shells, etc)
100% Juice Boxes or Milk Boxes
Cheap Lunch Containers (from your local wholesale place)
Cute little toys (from your local wholesale place)
1. Decorate the bags with markers and write “HAPPY MEAL” on them
2. Have class parents bake the chicken nuggets and cook the pasta (no tomato sauce-just add olive oil and seasoning)
3. Pack the same amount of food in each container
4. Make fruit baggies. Wash & cut the apples. Drizzle some lemon juice on them so they do not brown. Pick the grapes from their stems. Cut the pineapple into small chunks. If you add pineapple chunks from a can then you will not need any lemon juice. Place a few apple slices, some grapes and pineapples in each ziploc.
5. Pack your lunch bag- place a food container, a juice pack, fruit bag, and a toy. Have the children help assemble the Happy Meals, and deliver them to each class on a wagon!
My first challenge accomplished, Alhumdulillah….I can’t wait for my next one!