An entire week of spring break, what do I do with my kids at home!? It’s enough that I have to go shopping to 5 different places, and stay on top of my cooking plans, and then there is laundry too… OK – let me get myself together. Yes, my kids are home. And no, I will not let them watch TV all day. It so happens that Earth Day is on Friday this week! So with a fresh plan in my head, I decide to spend each day doing a simple craft and some activities that take less than 30 minutes to do, around the Earth Day theme. I’m too busy to blog about all of them, but I will share with you one of my favorite craft projects. We made recycle shopping bags, and here’s how:
1. Get a plain cloth bag from any dollar store for each child in the family. I found some at the Dollar Tree. I like these ones more than the common canvas bag, because they are already very colorful.
2. Buy fabric paints from any craft store. The ones in tubes are better for young children. You can also use fabric markers.
3. Come up with a catchy title to put in the middle of the bag. Ours said “Islam helps Me To Grow!” and “Islam teaches us 2B Green!“
4. Either your child or you can write the title on the bag.
5. Have your child design and sketch on the bag with a pencil.
6. Have them fill it in with color, and add embellishments like rhinestones, ribbons, and buttons.
7. Make a few, and your kids might want to go grocery shopping with you to show off their new recycle bags!
Oh did I tell you they make great gifts!